The Onboarding Engineer provides media and metadata expertise for the Media Services group. This position is responsible for the daily functions of onboarding, engineering projects, and providing operations support. This includes designing and implementing new workflows, setting up new systems and software tools, and supporting and training the operations team. This role is an operational support function requiring the incumbent to provide onsite support to various internal stakeholders. As such this role is not eligible for remote work which also presents a security risk to the Company.
This role will also liase with Media Services team members regarding system development needs and will ensure issues are flagged up to the Onboarding and Media Manager.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Onboard new platform media and metadata specifications and workflows.
- Provide technical expertise for the Client Services Team and their customers to help guide the onboarding process. Ensure only well-formed specifications, are used to complete client platform requirements and efficient operations workflows are onboarded.
- Establish and maintain transcoding presets for various types of distribution platforms including internal departments, web, mobile, broadcast, and VOD.
- Participate with the team in designing a variation of media and metadata workflows including media presets and metadata ingest mapping and XSLT export.
- Create technical documentation for workflows, processes, exception procedures, and the proper use of equipment or software.
- Perform operations rollout and training for new media or metadata workflows.
- Support the Director of Global Media Engineering in the design, documentation, training, implementation, and maintenance of new software or hardware tools rolled out to fulfill operations requests and/or business needs.
- Conduct proof of concept or user acceptance testing of SDI proprietary and 3rd party tools for use in operations workflows.
- Maintain media and metadata application system configurations and administrative settings.
- Conduct system maintenance and/or troubleshooting when needed.
- Provide support for daily operations issues by resolving assigned help desk tickets.
- Maintain a clear record, in the Help Desk system of all reported issues and resolutions.
- Estimate issue resolution times independently or with the other engineers to adequately communicate and manage the expectations of all internal and/or external clients.
- Troubleshoot independently or with the the Global Media Engineering Director to determine when 3rd party application support or internal IT assistance is needed.
- Participate in investigating client rejections, providing the business with root causes and take corrective action to mitigate further issues.
Must be able to demonstrate:
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with various stakeholders
- Knowledge of A/V processing tools, metadata handling and creation tools, and the post-production environment.
- Advanced computer skills and the ability to understand and work with a variety of software tools in a production environment .
- Familiarity with computer system networking concepts and terminology.
- Knowledge of the technical specifications and their uses (.e.g. codecs, wrappers, VBI, closed captioning, frame rates, aspect ratios, bit rates, color space, GOP structures, standards conversion and metadata).
- Advanced technical understanding of video, audio, and metadata to evaluate and identify defects or anomalies in A/V program material and metadata.
- Ability to act as a subject matter expert when a production tool is developed by the in-house application development team.
- Ability to work additional hours as necessitated by the work load.
- Ability to be on call to provide after hours or weekend support for operations when needed.
- Ability to work onsite to fulfill daily operational support needs.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in the video/audio engineering field.
- 2 years experience with content transformation applications not limited to Final Cut, Digital Rapids, Rhozet and Protools.
- 2 years experience with post-production hardware Tape decks, Vector scopes, captioning, text inserters, signal flow and patch-bays
- 2 years experience with file transport technologies Aspera, Signiant, smartjog and FTP
- Advanced degree or comparable work experience preferred.