The Production Engineer is responsible for providing engineering expertise to the Post-Production & Media Operations group. You will be responsible for troubleshooting support for issues encountered by our production team and provide appropriate resolutions in a timely manner. In addition, you will be responsible for assessing and processing all rejections that happen against the department’s deliveries, both in technical and operational context. You will also be focused on supporting one-off jobs that are not extensive or big enough for a full onboarding process. These duties include analyzing delivery specifications, designing the workflow and creating deliverable files for client. The position will also require you to be workflow SME (subject matter expert) after the onboarding process, and will be responsible in training and providing support for production on all workflows. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of transcoding software, non-linear editors, metadata and its function, professional broadcast video/audio equipment and standards. The candidate must also possess exceptional viewing, listening, problem-solving, and communication skills. The candidate must be able to work both independently and within a team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, prioritize, resolve, document and communicate both technical and operational issues providing overall Quality Control of daily operations.
- Estimate problem resolution times, either independently or in collaboration with other team members. Adequately communicating and managing the expectations of clients
- Lead effort in investigating client rejections, providing production with root cause and course of correction.
- Provide support and troubleshooting to production groups on a day-to-day basis
- Train production groups on newly onboarded workflows
- Set-up and execution of workflows and profiles for one-off media jobs.
- Support role for excessive production work
- Conduct training for operational personnel, of new procedures and projects.
- Set up, operate and test a wide variety of video, audio and metadata applications running on both hardware and software
- Other duties as needed
Must be able to demonstrate:
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with various stakeholders
- Knowledge of A/V processing tools, metadata handling and creation tools, and the post-production environment.
- Advanced computer skills and the ability to understand and work with a variety of software tools in a production environment .
- Familiarity with computer system networking concepts and terminology.
- Knowledge of the technical specifications and their uses (.e.g. codecs, wrappers, VBI, closed captioning, frame rates, aspect ratios, bit rates, color space, GOP structures, standards conversion and metadata).
- Ability to act as a subject matter expert when a production tool is developed by the in-house application development team.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed.
- Ability to work onsite to fulfill daily operational support needs.
Qualifications & Experience
- 2 years experience with content transformation applications such as Adobe Premiere, Vantage, Rhozet and ProTools, along with know-how on file transport technologies such as Aspera, Signiant, Smartjog and FTP.
- 2 years experience working in a post-production environment, preferably with experience with post-production hardware such as tape decks, vector scopes, captioning, text inserters, signal flow and patch-bays.
- Understanding of IP addressing, permissions, networking concepts and terminology
- Strong communication skills.
- Advanced degree or comparable work experience in media/video/audio realm.