Author: Łukasz Zmywaczyk, VP of Application Development
Single Production System (SPS) is SDI Media’s global system that is designed to be used across all SDI owned and operated facilities to manage all production orders (dubbing, subtitling and media services) from start to finish.
SPS is hosted on Amazon Web Services with all the benefits provided by cloud hosted solutions.
Who is it for?
SPS is for all users involved in the content localization process (internal SDI employees and external contributors including vendors, freelancers and customers). Thanks to the flexible Workflow Management System, and user defined queues, any part of the process can be assigned to a contributor who can actively manage their tasks within the system.
Modules and main functionalities
SPS is designed as a modular ecosystem of functionalities which drive and manage the localization process in a fast, easy and transparent way. Although the approach is modular, all those functionalities are cooperating to deliver a high-quality user experience and provide support at every stage of the process.
There are 7 main modules:
- Workflow Management System
- Order Management
- Content Library
- Production Management
- System Settings
Workflow Management System (WMS)
Workflow Management System (WMS) is designed to help streamline routine business processes for optimal efficiency. Each workflow is a roadmap detailing every step required to complete a process, with instructions regarding assets creation and information about which assets are produced at each step.
Workflows are defined by users and described by following criteria:
- Languages ( source and target)
- Client SLA
- Assets ( In & Out)
- Manage/update workflow templates
- See a visual representation of your production processes
- Assign parts of workflows across facilities
- Manage/update subservices templates
- Manage/update task templates
Order Entry allows users to create jobs in a single place. Key steps are:
- Enter basic order data
- Create or choose existing assets from the Content Library
- Assign a workflow ( from predefined list)
- Enter revenue and invoice data
- Review the suggested production schedule (based on workflow, standard time to complete tasks, media runtime and breakpoints)
- Start project ( release to production )
Job Health & Status allows users to monitor and update jobs, including:
- Easily change workflows and schedules
- Quick view into project health ( green, yellow, red status)
- Log, manage and distribute information about any errors identified on assets during production tasks and after delivery
Content Library is a centralized, searchable, global title repository through which users can register assets (e.g., video files, glossary, scripts, etc.) and metadata (e.g., title, season, content type, etc.) related to assets.
Lightweight assets (glossaries, scripts, etc.) can be uploaded directly into the cloud allowing the system to create relationships between assets with their related workflows.
Production Management is a module that allows SDI facilities to organize their production activities, resources, workspaces, vendors, and capacity measured against the workflows to be completed.
- Manage all tasks through queues
- Assign tasks to resources, workspaces, and vendors
- Access capacity metrics for resources, workspaces, and vendors
- See all errors and holds logged against a task ( summary at a job level in Project Health)
- Modify workflows if necessary
Scheduled resources, both internal and external, can track details on dedicated dashboards:
- Tasks to perform with dates
- Link to cloud-based assets
- Provided capacity/availability
- User profile and qualifications
The Specifications module handles the details needed to on-board new platforms. From creating specification templates, to mixing and matching modular instructions, users have freedom and flexibility to connect these components together to provide all the information needed to produce and deliver assets successfully.
- Create and configure platforms
- Create specification templates
- Create and manage technical and delivery specifications
- Compose technical flows and modular instructions
The Administration module manages all entities involved in the production process.
- Create and configure users for SDI, clients, vendors
- Onboard facilities
- Create and manage clients
- Create and manage vendors
System Settings is the control centre where System Administrators manage access to different parts of the system and which data that is visible to users through permissions and role management.
- Manage roles and permissions
- Set security settings across the system
- Manage servers across SDI
- Configure all notifications
- Maintain all dictionaries in SPS
What’s on the roadmap for SPS?
- Integration with SDI’s internal finance system
- Integration with other applications from SDI Media Ecosystem including: AppSuite, GTS Pro, Language Automation Portal, and MAM